Monday, May 1, 2017

DailyPaintworks contest

Back in March, I had a sudden impulse & entered my painting "Strings" into the DPW monthly contest. The contest is judged each month by a different artist - with 1st, 2nd & 3rd place winners receiving a money award. In addition, the judge also picks a group of artists who win the "judges pick" - which gives them a month free membership plus a month being a featured artist.

"Strings" - March DPW Judges pick winner
This is sold but contact me if you'd like something similar done.
Featured artists on DPW have their work displayed at the top of the daily "what's new" page, as well as in the email blast they put out daily. Featured artists are usually established artists with sales & followings. So being a judge's pick moves your work up in the list!

 I have entered their contests previously but had never won anything. It is only $10 to enter, and each month there are, on average, around 100 entries.

I am very happy to say that "Strings" was a judges pick! And I was a "featured" artist for the month of April. But to enjoy this featured status, I needed to have a painting that was considered "new" each day of the month. Once I received the email that I would be a featured artist I went through my work that was still available & on DPW, and set their "view" dates. I selected roughly 28 paintings & had each one "new" on the next consecutive day. I also set their auctions to match so that each day, a new painting would be on display on the face page as well as had an auction on it.

I am even happier to say that I sold 6 paintings last month, and I believe it had to do with being a Featured artist. Online sales in 2017 started off very, very slow - perhaps the slowest I had ever seen. I kept doing commission work, but the online sales seemed to diminish rapidly from the volume last year. So imagine my surprise at selling 6 paintings in 1 month suddenly! I am thrilled (not to mention I can buy more art supplies!!!!)

I did not enter the DPW contest for April - I just did not have enough "new" work to display had I won a featured artist spot again. But once I have inventory again I will definitely enter the contests again.

--------------------------------------

Artists Note: I read some suggestions on what to do with art that doesn't sell, and one artist suggested to ask your viewers - your followers - what they didn't like on some of those pieces. I like that idea of feedback - not the artists critique necessarily, but what did the art viewer think & why they wouldn't purchase it. I will be setting that up here on the blog, but also on my Facebook page - and asking for feedback! What a great idea!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...